Every year you invite friends and family over for a holiday gathering. There are plenty of dishes overflowing with food and leftovers sitting around. With all the people in and out of your home, a few bits and pieces can be forgotten or left behind. This leaves a feast for pests waiting for your scraps. How can you prevent pests from snacking on your holiday meals without using chemicals? Here is some advice and tips:
- Get clean- wipe up any crumbs or spills immediately.
- Store food in airtight containers and bags.
- Dispose of trash regularly.
- If you add a bay leaf to canisters and packages of dry goods like flour, rice and other grains- the scent may repel many of the pesky pantry pests.
- Get rid of old and expired products.
- Run your garbage disposal regularly.
- Wash your dishes regularly; standing water in the sink can also cause problems.
- Seal cracks and crevices on the outside of the home; especially near the kitchen.
Cornmeal- cornmeal has a sweet taste that attracts ants but it will kill them. They are not able to digest the cornmeal and will carry it back to their nest. It will eventually kill the pesky ants.
Eucalyptus Oil- essential oils, especially the scent of eucalyptus, will help keep bugs at bay. You can mix some eucalyptus oil and water in a spray bottle and have it handy. When bugs like spiders come, spray them with the mixture and it will kill them.
Soap Solution- a mixture of soap and water can also be kept on hand in a spray bottle. Soap mixture works to eliminate cockroaches. The film gets on their shell and blocks their ability to breathe.
Keeping your home pest free during the holiday season can be difficult but not impossible. Start early, before your have guests. Use good hygiene, keep your kitchen tidy and keep trash under control. If you have a problem you cannot control with these tips and tricks, please give Absolute Pest Control a call at 615-220-1933. We can help you and have quick service turn around times. All of our technicians are screened through sex offender registries and multiple other registries to make sure you and your family is safe!