5 Ways Your Home is Attractive to Pests
Some homes are more prone to pest control issues than others. And, it isn’t just because they are dirty. Below are the most common 5 Ways Your Home is Attractive to Pests.
Pests are attracted to moisture from your HVAC unit, leaky pipes, and standing water. All insects need water to survive. Your HVAC drain pipe must be diverted away from your home. Occasional inspections of visible pipe and easily seen water sources like toilets and sinks. If you see discoloration from a leaky pipe behind a wall, you must fix it quickly. No insect loves standing water more than a mosquito. They are a breeding zones for annoying mosquitoes. Never leave a bucket out to fill with rain water.
One of the easiest ways for insects to get into your home is through ripped, missing, or damaged screens. Inspecting your screens twice a year will reduce the path of the insects tenfold. Screens are especially effective at keeping flies out. House flies are strongly suspected of transmitting at least 65 diseases to humans, including typhoid fever, dysentery, cholera, poliomyelitis, yaws, anthrax,tularemia, leprosy and tuberculosis.
Crumbs or Food Debris
Crumbs lying around the counter will attract pests in no time. After cooking always put your food away and wipe down counters. Occasionally sweeping beside the stove and behind the refrigerator is helpful. Pantry shelves are a common place for crumbs to gather and move to the back. Cleaning your trash cans and verifying they have latching lids will keep animals like raccoons out of them.
When you have a cluttered home, even if it’s clean, you are asking for inspects and pests to move in. Stacks of magazines next to a table creates a very nice, dark, safe space for spiders. Multiple small appliances on counters may hide debris. Over filled kitchen cabinets can host silver fish.
Cracks and Holes
Cracks in your exterior allows insects to find shelter from the elements. A hole allows larger animals to make there way into your home, attic, basement, or crawlspace. Fill or repair minor cracks and perform inspections. Holes can be patched, have screens installed, or covered. Make sure you hire an expert for complicated repairs.
5 Ways Your Home is Attractive to Pests
About Absolute Pest Control
Absolute Pest Control is dedicated to making your home safe for you family. If you have a question about insect treatment or any other pest problem, please call us at 615-220-1933 or click HERE to email us.
How Weather Affects Insect Problems!
Have you ever wondered what the weather has to do with pest control and the bug problems on Middle Tennessee? You may think it’s no big deal. But, it actually is!
Whether the weather is getting too hot or too cold for pests, they will look for a safe place to go. They want to get out of the weather just like we do. And, where do they go? Into your home, garage, she-shed, man-cave, or business.
We want to help you prepare and divert pests before you have a full blown infestation. Termites are a problem almost everyone has heard of and most Tennessee residents will have to deal with at some point. These winged pests are harder to identify until there is a bug problem. We offer annual termite inspections to keep your largest investment safe!
Other pests that are a problem…
During the Summer Yellow jackets may spoil your fun. The weather gets warm and people go outside. You may not notice a wasp nest if you have not been to that outdoor venue before or if you haven’t been inspecting your home on a regular basis. Being proactive in reducing the onset of a yellow jacket infestation includes regular inspection around your home or business. It is a good idea to keep brush and trees trimmed and not resting on the ground. If you see a nest, get professional assistance to reduce the likelihood of an injury. Our licensed and trained technician do a wasp sweep at each maintenance appointment.
The fear from a small eight legged creature is real. They have even named it: Arachnophobia. You can read the full definition HERE. The two spiders in Smyrna, Murfreesboro, LaVergne, and Middle Tennessee that are a real problem are the Black Widow and Brown Recluse Spiders. Four other spiders that are just a nuisance include the American House Spider, Cellar Spiders (Daddy Long Legs), Wolf Spider, and the Zipper Spider. Keeping your garage clean, boxes organized in the attic or basement, and a regular schedule of inspection will reduce harm from a spider bite. The other spiders can be good at eating other bothersome insects. However, you don’t want them inside your home. Knowing How Weather Affects Insect Problems will help you avoid spiders from moving into your home.
Not just a song…. La Cucaracha! Cockroaches can tolerate quite cold weather. But, thy would prefer to just move into your home starting in the Fall. By Winter they have a warm and insulated nest. the Tropical species of cockroaches may die if the temperature falls under 60 degrees! If you were to put a cockroach in a freezer, it would die in about an hour (no we haven’t actually tried it). Their eggs take much longer to die in a freezer. Having regular inspections and a plan if a cockroach is found will help keep your home free from these pests all year around.
How Weather Affects Insect Problems!
Absolute Pest Control is dedicated to making your home safe for you family. If you have a question about fall pests or any other pest problem, please call us at 615-220-1933 or click HERE to email us.
Bug of the Month for February: German Cockroach
Eww! Cockroaches! The cockroach just might be the most hated bug out there. They’re hard to kill, they hiss, and they can spread diseases. They’re especially bad in the wintertime because that’s when they like to come inside for warmth.
There are several different varieties of cockroach, but the most common is the German cockroach. They can get into everything. It’s horrible! But, have no fear. Absolute Pest Control is here!
What do German cockroaches look like?
The German cockroach is tan or brown and can grow to be ¼” long or so. German cockroaches have two antennas and six fuzzy-looking legs. Unlike other kinds of roaches, the German cockroach cannot fly. Its wings allow it to smoothly glide downward.
What are some German cockroach behaviors?
German cockroaches will eat almost anything and can go several weeks without eating. This contributes a whole lot to their long survival.
German cockroaches have been known to bite people, although this is uncommon. The main threat that they pose is germ and parasite contamination, due to their unsanitary habitats.
Where do German cockroaches live?
Despite the fact that they are called German cockroaches, they are the most common type of cockroach found in North America. Even more so than the American cockroach!
They like warm, humid environments near food. This contributes to the fact that German cockroaches are most likely to be found in kitchens and bathrooms.
What should I do if I find German cockroaches?
If you find one German cockroach, kill it. It is most likely the only one around. However, if you find two, there are probably hundreds more.
To prevent German cockroach infestations, it is necessary to maintain a clean living space. Do not leave food lying around, clean often, and make sure doors and windows are sealed.
If you suspect you have a German cockroach infestation, please call Absolute Pest Control at (615)229-1933 or click here to schedule an appointment.
When You’ve Done All You Can Do, When Do You Call a Pest Control Company?
Everyone has those unwanted pests such as ants, cockroaches, brown recluse and other spiders, mosquitos, and rats that get into their food and living environment. They’re so annoying and often, their bites can be painful and dangerous. This article will help you to decide when it’s time to call a pest control company.
Brown Recluse Spiders
If you live in the Southeastern United States, you are probably all-too familiar with the brown recluse spider. While death is rare, their bite turns into a very painful sore that can lead to some nasty infections that take weeks to get rid of.
If you see brown recluses in your home, call a pest control company immediately. While there are certain things you can do at home on your own to help prevent and control spider infestations, sometimes that is not enough, and you need to call a pest control company to get rid of them.
Likewise, cockroaches are a common pest problem. Cockroaches can live for up to a year and eat almost anything. They can even go for a month without food at all! The two most common roaches are the American and German cockroaches.
American cockroaches are large (one to two inches) and stay outside for the most part, so if you see just one roach, it might not be much of a problem, but if you see two of them, it’s very likely that you have an infestation.
German cockroaches are much smaller (half an inch), but if you see even one, that means there are probably a lot more. They reproduce at a much faster rate than American cockroaches. One female and her offspring can produce over 30,000 young in just a year! In either case, if you see two roaches, call a pest control company (like Absolute Pest Control) immediately.
Mice and Rats
While spiders and insects are pretty small and therefore not as noticeable, another common pest problem is mice and rats. They are large and tend to make a lot of noise that can keep you up at night and can wreak havoc on your kitchen pantry, destroying much of your food.
- There are certain things you can do to keep them away and catch them, such as:
- Setting mouse traps
- Using an electronic, low-frequency noise device that is made to keep them away
- If you can’t get rid of them yourself, call a pest control company (click to schedule and appointment) to deal with those annoying rodents.
All in all, there are many products that can help prevent and exterminate insects and rodents, but sometimes these are not enough. If you see multiple spiders, insects, or rodents, it is likely that there is a bigger infestation than you can handle on your own. If so, it’s time to call a pest control company to get rid of the problem.
Contact Absolute Pest Control, click here or give us a call to schedule an appointment today!
How to Get Rid Of Cockroaches!
Cockroaches are huge problem in the South. It doesn’t necessarily mean you have a dirty home. But, if you are searching for how to get rid of cockroaches in Nashville or other cities in Tennessee; read on! We will talk to you about how to prevent cockroaches, how to get rid of them and how to keep them gone!
Common species of cockroaches include; Madagascar Hissing Roach, German Roach, Brown Cockroach and the American Roach. What do cockroaches eat? One typical thing we find that cockroaches eat is your trash! Cockroaches breed quickly and easily, especially in water-infested areas. The best defense is a solid offense. Keeping cockroaches away is the easiest way to not deal with them.
Here is the overview on how to get rid of cockroaches:
- Check at night- Cockroaches are active at night. A quick trip to the kitchen when it’s dark and turning on the lights will let you see if there is activity from the cockroaches.
- Over-the-counter baits- A temporary fix is the over-the-counter bait traps available at your favorite store.
- Call a professional- To get rid of cockroaches and really keep them gone, calling in a professional like Absolute Pest Control, is your best bet. Click here to ask questions!
- Clean up water- Standing water or leaks can provide the water necessary for life forms to survive. Do periodic checks of pipes to see if you have any extra water leaking.
- Keep eating in the kitchen or dining room- When you eat all over the house, there is an increase of food scraps and particles being left behind. Kids bedrooms are especially at risk. If you eat in areas other than the kitchen and dining room, be sure to have a clean up plan that really gets all crumbs up. Those tiny bits can feed cockroaches.
- Watch for hitchhikers- Did you get a deal on a stand up pantry on Craigslist or you favorite Facebook group? Do a thorough examination of the entire piece before bringing it into your home. If possible (weather permitting) leave it outdoors for a day or two to make sure you have no hitchhikers.
Tips after you have gotten rid of the cockroaches:
- Keep home tidy- Clean up crumbs and keep trash collected in bins with lids.
- Look for clues- Check for unfriendly house guests periodically
- Have a routine treatment program-
- Routine treatment, like our bi-monthly Platinum Protection Plan, will keep your house cockroach and pest free. Compare the pests that are covered in our package by clicking here. You can see we provide the best protection with the highest value.
That’s how to get rid of cockroaches in Nashville and surrounding areas like, Murfreesboro, Smyrna, Brentwood, Franklin, Antioch and much more. Looking for your city? Click here!
Here is our other article about how to get rid of cockroaches fast and keep them gone!
Our trained and fully screened technicians can assist you in any of your pest control needs including cockroaches. We also offer a FREE annual termite inspection! Call us today for more details 615-220-1933 or 615-650-0070!
Follow us on Facebook: Here!
Do you want to keep your home pest free without a ton of chemicals? Pest Control isn’t just fumigation and dead bugs. At Absolute Pest Control, we work to keep your home and family safe. Pest control has many aspects. We don’t just kill ants and treat for termites. We are a full service pest control company treating homes and businesses in Middle Tennessee.
Ants- Our skilled technicians can treat occasional outbreaks and offer a perimeter to keep new ants out of your home and yard. Certain types of ants like carpenter ants require different types of treatment. We make a plan based on your needs.
Bees- Airborne bugs are more difficult to treat. If a nest is spotted, our trained technicians can safely remove it to keep the yellow jackets and bees at bay. Our bi-monthly eave sweeping is just one of our ways to maintain the safety of your family.
Spiders- Spiders, as a whole, are not bad. They serve a purpose in our ecology. However, poisonous spiders do not belong in your home or office. One of the extra services provided by our friendly technician’s is to clean out the water meter and the mailbox. No surprises for you when you reach for your mail. And, the meter readers always love our clients.
Termites- Our annual termite checks will keep you educated on the “health” of your home. Termites are like cancer to your home. Chances are, your home will be your biggest investment. We want to make sure it keeps it’s value. Termites rack up billions of dollars in damage, not covered by insurance, every year. The humidity of the South makes your home the perfect breeding ground. If you get the unpleasant news that you have termites, our specialized technicians will treat your home or office and get rid of the termites.
Absolute Pest Control is not just Pest Control, we take the time to find out your needs, create a plan that works, offer packages that cover more than any other pest control company, offer 100% moony back guarantee, have highly skilled and trained technicians, provide extra services, offer annual termite checks (often for free) and we have the best prices.
Call Absolute Pest Control today for a FREE Quote. Click here to send us an email.
Every year you invite friends and family over for a holiday gathering. There are plenty of dishes overflowing with food and leftovers sitting around. With all the people in and out of your home, a few bits and pieces can be forgotten or left behind. This leaves a feast for pests waiting for your scraps. How can you prevent pests from snacking on your holiday meals without using chemicals? Here is some advice and tips:
- Get clean- wipe up any crumbs or spills immediately.
- Store food in airtight containers and bags.
- Dispose of trash regularly.
- If you add a bay leaf to canisters and packages of dry goods like flour, rice and other grains- the scent may repel many of the pesky pantry pests.
- Get rid of old and expired products.
- Run your garbage disposal regularly.
- Wash your dishes regularly; standing water in the sink can also cause problems.
- Seal cracks and crevices on the outside of the home; especially near the kitchen.
Cornmeal- cornmeal has a sweet taste that attracts ants but it will kill them. They are not able to digest the cornmeal and will carry it back to their nest. It will eventually kill the pesky ants.
Eucalyptus Oil- essential oils, especially the scent of eucalyptus, will help keep bugs at bay. You can mix some eucalyptus oil and water in a spray bottle and have it handy. When bugs like spiders come, spray them with the mixture and it will kill them.
Soap Solution- a mixture of soap and water can also be kept on hand in a spray bottle. Soap mixture works to eliminate cockroaches. The film gets on their shell and blocks their ability to breathe.
Keeping your home pest free during the holiday season can be difficult but not impossible. Start early, before your have guests. Use good hygiene, keep your kitchen tidy and keep trash under control. If you have a problem you cannot control with these tips and tricks, please give Absolute Pest Control a call at 615-220-1933. We can help you and have quick service turn around times. All of our technicians are screened through sex offender registries and multiple other registries to make sure you and your family is safe!
Your reputation as a business owner is crucial for commercial business success. It doesn’t matter if your own a restaurant, a clothing store, or a hotel pest control is important. Your customers may be fickle and like you one day but not the next. How can our pest control company help you do better in business? Follow these tips for success:
- Take out the trash – it seems like a no-brainer but employees sometimes cut corners. Making sure the trash goes into the dumpsters on a regular basis (more often in food service) and that the dumpster is not within a close vicinity to the business itself.
- Sanitize – keep your surfaces, tools, and floors properly sanitized. Soda machine drain tubes are a magnet for problems. Regular sanitizing will reduce the filth rodents and other pests love. This step will help keep the health inspector away too!
- Dry it out – standing water or left over moisture is bad. There are multiple things that can happen with water. People can slip and sue. Mold will grow in damp, moisture filled grout, cracks, and corners. Any pest control company will tell you that standing water is both a breeding ground for bugs but also a source of hydration for rats, mice, and other creatures.
- Train employees – your employees are the first line of defense in maintaining pest control problems. If you train your employees, also make sure you are following the same proper techniques. Being a good leader will strengthen your team.
- Hire a professional pest control company – like us! Having a quality pest control company on your side will protect your business and clientele. Our timely inspections will eliminate and keep pests away.
These simple steps will help any business keep their facility clean, safe, and the customers happy. Absolute Pest Control wants to be the pest control company you trust.
What can you do to get rid of cockroaches without calling a pest control service? It depends on how big the cockroach infestation is.
There are many cockroaches worldwide and they come in different sizes and colors. Common cockroaches are Madagascar Hissing Roach, German Roach, and the American Roach. Cockroaches breed easily, especially in water-infested areas. Because they eat your garbage and different kinds of food, cockroaches spread germs and diseases to your family that include salmonella and gastroenteritis. This is why it is important to get rid of cockroaches and prevent them from coming back. Keeping them away in the first place will shield your family from bacteria and diseases carried by cockroaches. Since they reproduce fast, it can be difficult dealing with house bugs and insects and getting rid of cockroaches. However, Nashville and Middle Tennessee residents must know that there are many ways to eradicate and prevent cockroaches from investing your home, apartment, office, or restaurant. Here are effective ways to do so:
- Cockroaches are usually hard to detect since they crawl in the shadows and come out at nighttime. If you see one cockroach, it means that you have more (cockroach infestation) hiding somewhere that you can not even see. It is important that you check the kitchen since cockroaches love to eat. Evidence like droppings are found in the pantry, cupboard, or even cabinets. Inspect the house for cracks and holes, entering through drains or vents.
- Over-the-counter roach bait may help with a small cockroach infestation. Once you see where cockroaches live, eradicate them by using insecticide spray for cockroaches, a bug spray, roach bait strips, or liquid concentrates. These are available at many big box stores or your local hardware store.
- However, some people are not comfortable killing the cockroaches by themselves; especially with chemicals that can cause harm to the family. Calling a professional pest control company in Middle Tennessee, like Absolute Pest Control, is a much better idea. We will eliminate all cockroaches (including cockroach eggs) in your home or business and itâ€™s the best way to protect yourself and visitors. Not all pest control companies are experts like Absolute Pest Control. Our technicians are properly licensed, trained, and must keep up on their continuing education. Also, our technicians are licensed to use organic or stronger chemicals. Homeowners should regard them as partners in keeping our home clean and pest-free.
- Once your cockroach infestation is eliminated, it is important to practice good hygiene and keep your home or work area clean. Make sure that foods are stored in proper places. Keep them sealed and stored in refrigerators, cabinets or cupboards. Clean the cupboards and pantries regularly. Sweep regularly after meals since food droppings left on the floor attract cockroaches fast. Keep your trash covered at all times and clean it regularly to avoid food or water debris. Leaving dirty dishes in the sink and a petâ€™s food could also attract cockroaches. Be sure to keep them clean and tidy.
- Most older kids love to eat in their rooms; if you canâ€™t keep them from doing so, it is important to remind them to clean the room after. Food-related item such as breadcrumbs and chips are very attractive to cockroaches so make sure that we donâ€™t leave any in their bedroom.
- Like all living species, cockroaches need water to live. Make sure that you routinely check the floor, especially in a basement or near the air conditioning unit. Inspect all faucets and pipes for leaks and avoid leaving standing water anywhere. Check pots, plates, silver and glassware for tell tale signs of a cockroach infestation. Wipe them thoroughly so that they do not leave any moisture that would draw cockroaches.
- Routine treatment, like our bi-monthly Platinum Protection Plan, will keep your house cockroach and pest free. Compare the pests that are covered in our package by clicking here. You cam see we provide the best protection with the highest value.
We all want to come home to a beautiful, clean and big house. And of course, a pest-free home. Admit it or not, do we really know that the house we live in are safe and pest-free? Real estate agents and homeowners in Nashville, Middle Tennessee should be wary about the dangers brought about the pests to a family especially to young children. Remember that damages caused by pests are not covered by most homeowners’ insurance policies. Homeowners can prevent these pesky creatures from entering your house and reduce frustration. Like doctors say “An ounce of prevention is really better than a pound of cure.” Below are the best tips to pest-proof your house.
- None of us want gatecrashers especially when they are skunks, snakes, or cockroaches. Check the entire exterior of the house for any gaps and cracks. Pests, particularly rodents, use even the tiniest gaps to enter your love nest. The easiest way is to limit attacks by thorough inspection and repair of broken doors and windows; repair rips, openings, tears or holes on screens.
- Honeymooners or families who are moving in to a new apartment in Nashville, Tennessee should also check for cracks on walls or swarmers. Press or knock on any exterior wood to check if there are termites feasting on your walls. If it feels spongy, there could be termites. These tiny creatures are feeding on your wood that would cause the collapse of your house. Check also if there are dirt tubes or saw dust. These are sure signs that would tell you that the house you are moving into has termites.
- Choose your bulbs right to prevent flying insects around your home. Halogen lights are better compared with standard mercury vapor lights as they help reduce flying insects around doors and windows. Use pink, yellow or orange colors and place them in pole lights, if possible, away from doors with the light shining toward the door for safety.
- We are always reminded to keep our home surroundings clean. When our house surrounding is neat and free from litter, weeds and standing water; we are certain that we are not giving pests a chance to feed on bacteria-forming debris. Make sure that trash cans are regularly cleaned to remove debris and help prevent spills. This way, we are also shielding our family from harmful diseases like Rocky Mountain Flu, Asthma, Lime Disease, and more caused by pests like cockroaches, mosquitoes, rodents and more.
- While keeping our surroundings clean would eliminate pests, it is also important to trim plants particularly tree branches or bushes that are reaching your house as pests use them as bridges. For homeowners who prefer using mulch over rocks as covering, you may opt to use organic mulches since they are less pest-attractive. Termites especially love the redwood mulch around homes. They are attracted to the wood shreds and will quickly move into your home from there.
- Lastly, if you find some evidence that termites, snakes or skunks have infested your house, the best thing to do is to call us, Absolute Pest Control. We have the expertise to protect your home. And, we offer the best guarantee in Middle Tennessee! With Absolute Pest Control; You’re Covered!